Monday 25 June 2012

Social Media Madness

As I am sure you're aware there are many facets to running a small business, some exciting, some interesting, and some challenging. And on a whole, mostly rewarding.


The last couple of weeks, my challenge has been 'Social Media'. 


Having worked in Advertising for years as an Account Manager, leaving only to run Plie, I thought I still had some idea how the media world kind of worked.... 8 years out of the picture and wow how things have changed! 


'Back in my advertising days, no one 'pinned' anything, there was no 'tweeting' or 'poking' no 'following', no 'liking', 'posting', or 'sharing', no 'walls' and no 'timelines'. I think I had a personal myspace page, and that was about it! Of course I have facebooked, instagrammed, and pinned etc etc but until now, I have not really used it on a business level.


I know, I know, It's about time Plie and I got up to date! 


What a great medium it is for small business!  Customers 'choosing' to interact with you, at their leisure, at a time that suits them. We can personally contact our customers, and create a much more personal relationship with our customers. Its definitely not all about sales. It's so much more about building relationships and contacts.




The average Facebook user spends 20 minutes on his or her account during each visit * - thats alot of time for a customer to interact with you - and even better, all their friends follow the interaction too. There is really no other medium like it. 


And it works both ways. I have found some great products and suppliers for the store, just by using social media. Learnt new ways of merchandising, found window display inspiration and even a few awesome cupcakes for my kids parties. 


And most of all, its FUN! And just slightly addictive... 




Our first 'Social Media' promotion. To get involved,  visit us on facebook.com/pliedancewear or follow us on Instagram @plieboutique or, you can even just good old fashioned email us - enquiries@pliedancewear.com


*Experian - 2011 Social Media Consumer Report

No comments:

Post a Comment